Cute New Layout from Shabby Blogs!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"It will be said of us that we kept the faith, that we took a painful blow and emerged stronger." -- Barack Obama

September 12th Reflections...


Do you remember where you were?  Home?  Work?  School?  What you were doing?  The feelings you had?  Worry?  Hurt?  Anger?

I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing and what I felt immediately...  I was 19 years old, my son was 1 at the time.  I was working in the drive-thru as a teller at F & M Bank in Berryville,VA.  He stayed at my grandma's (Memaw) house while I was at work.  A gentleman came in the bank and he was older, had on glasses and a khaki colored jacket.  He came in and asked if we had the radio on or if we had heard what happened.  At that point in time there was only one plane involved.  By the time we got the radio on, it was about 2 minutes before the second plane crashed.  Then word of the third and the fourth came in.  The first thing I did was call my Mom and make sure she was okay.  I remember watching so many minutes go by and only being able to hear what was going on - not see it - because there were no televisions in the bank at that time.  A few people came in and out, but most I'm guessing were just staying wherever they were.  Each person that came in was offering thoughts and updates and all I could do was watch the clock.

When it was my lunch time, I went immediately to Memaw's house, rushed in the door and scooped up Trenton right out of the highchair.  I remember him having orange all over his face from his lunch.  And where I would normally be quite careful about getting it on me or my clothes, I couldn't have cared less that day.  I hadn't said a word until then, when Memaw asked why I was so upset.  It didn't even occur to me that she hadn't turned on the news.  She didn't watch the news while he was up because it was too violent.  I immediately turned it on and updated her on everything - all while holding Trenton.  I couldn't put him down.  She got caught up on the stories as much as she could, we prayed for everyone, and then I had to go back to work.  I didn't want to leave him.  And if I could have taken him with me I would have.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been there...  To have been in either tower...  In any wing on the Pentagon...  Or to have been part of the "Let's Roll" conversation that made history as one of the most heroic acts ever... 

What I do know, is that I am a proud American.  I love my country.  I am so thankful to be so blessed in my life, both then and now.

I watched almost all of the 10 year anniversary coverage, just as I have watched the anniversary coverage every year up until now...  And just as I'll do in the future...  I get goosebumps every single time the explosions happen, the towers collapse...  Every time the bells ring during the anniversary ceremonies... 

I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment